Inadequate Security

Handing Cases of Inadequate Security in Public HousingApartment owners have a duty to protect tenants from hazardous property conditions. One hazard that many landlords overlook is inadequate security.For years, Dankner Milstein, P.C., has been a tenacious advocate for people who have been injured due to another’s negligence. We are not afraid to take on negligent property owners, including private landlords and the New York City Housing Authority. With offices in New York City, New Jersey and Long Island, we represent people across these areas and beyond. We offer a free initial consultation to evaluate your case.

What Is Inadequate Security?

Property in disrepair can be an invitation to thieves and violent criminals. Examples of property defects that may be considered negligent include:

  • Missing or malfunctioning door locks
  • Missing or malfunctioning window locks
  • Lack of proper lighting in areas such as parking lots and entrances
  • Missing or nonfunctioning security cameras in areas where people have been assaulted in the past
  • Lack of police patrols or private security in known crime areas

Whether you are living in a private apartment or in public housing, you have a right to reasonably safe property conditions. If you are injured in a criminal assault that occurred due to negligent or inadequate security, you have a right to be fully compensated for everything you have lost.

Filing a Notice of Claim: If you are suing a municipality in New York, you must file a notice of claim within 90 days of the date of your injury or you will give up your right to sue. While the deadline does not apply in every case, it’s important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible.

Contact Our Inadequate Apartment Security Attorneys

If we accept your case, our law firm will pay all expenses associated with investigating and preparing your case, and will not recover these expenses unless we recover financial compensation for you. Further, we take all personal injury cases on a no-recovery, no-fee basis. To get started, call us at 212.751.8000 or complete our contact form to schedule a free consultation. If you cannot come to us, we will come to you.

Se habla español.